Date : 15 Jan 2017
Registration Deadline : January 9, 2017 at 1500
Taking a walk into the Unique Heritage Settlement and its Surrounding Eco-Historical Landscape
The LSCOBA Heritage Team is happy to invite you to join this guided tour co-organised by the Pokfulam Village Cultural Landscape Conservation Company, a local-based charity.
The Pokfulam Village was selected in the World Monuments Watch List 2014 by the World Monuments Fund, a professional heritage conservation organisation based in New York, to raise global and local concerns on the challenges and threats faced by this cultural heritage site. The Village’s unique Mid-Autumn Festival tradition, the community-based Fire Dragon Dancing, are also one of over 400 items in the HK Intangible Heritage Inventory by the HK Government.
The Pokfulam Village was just a humble Hakka agricultural village in their early days 280 years ago, but generations of Villagers have had the privilege to witness the growth of Hong Kong. In Pokfulam Valley, the city’s first reservoir was built in 1863, the Bethanie Sanatorium (伯大尼修道院) was as erected by the French Missionaries in 1875, and the Dairy Farm Company setup its 300 acres farm in 1886.This is where its fragrant water, which gave the name of the city of Hong Kong flows through, and where the East cohabited with the West in the early HK colonial days.
The docent tour is led by an experienced local guide who has plenty of community and personal stories to tell. You will enter this surviving Village and learn about the endeavours carried out by the self-driven residents who made the Village renowned and resilient to urbanization. You will also visit Dairy Farm heritage sites and picture how 3,000 dairy cows shaped the living spaces of the local people. You will also be granted access to the interior of the University Hall (a Graded Monument). A self-paid lunch will be arranged in local traditional restaurant or other villager-run cafeteria.
Date : 15 January, 2017 (Sunday)
Deadline for Registration : 9 January, 2017, 1500
Time : 10:00am to 3:30pm
Fee : $100 per person ($90 for OBA Visa Card payments)(Cost for lunch not included)
Target : OBA Members and one guest per participating OBA member
Capacity : The group will have a maximum of 30 participants, first-come-first-served
Language : Cantonese
Meeting point : Pokfulam Village Bus Stop on Pokfulam Road (Opposite Chinese Culinary Institute 中華廚藝學院) at 10:00am. If you are driving, parking is available at Chi Fu Garden which is 10-min walk.
Points to note:
- Please wear comfortable long-sleeve sports or casual wear and walking shoes, and prepare mosquito-repellent and drinking water for yourself.
- Please respect the local community and follow the guidelines given by the docent guide. Please ask for permission before taking pictures in the Village.
- The organisers reserve the right to alter the route of the visit.
- No refund will be granted for no shows.
- This programme will be cancelled when the No. 3 or above typhoon signal, or red or black rainstorm warning is issued at 8 o’clock of the event day, and you will be refunded.
- Please submit this registration form and credit card authorization to LSCOBA on or before 9 January 2017, 1500 by email (email@example.com); Order is taken on a first-come-first served basis.
- For inquiries on the tour, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LSCOBA reserves the right to refuse any registration at its discretion.
- Group insurance is provided for all participants. LSCOBA and the organizer shall not be responsible for any accident nor injury whatsoever to any person howsoever arising in connection with this event.